After I prepared a handful of ruin parts, I took those blocks and launched Unity. I visualized a jungle pathway that leads to a clearing with the ruined Mayan temple, similar to an adventure game set.
Of course, without textures and jungle plants, it looks a little bland. But it helps me identify which pieces are really used during building, which needs refactoring and so on. At this early stage I didn’t use any special tools, just exported all meshes into one FBX as submeshes.
There are great tools for batch exporting meshes, which I use regularly at later phases of production. One of these is FBX Bundle by renderhjs which luckily, has an updated version that works with 2.8x.